Friday, February 20, 2009

wham-

Driving home from work, I panicked and braked while a long white truck was pulling out in front of me... very slowly. wham. My first car accident wasn't a personal tragedy, but my car was totalled. (I loved that car.)

I think about how many times in life each person gets a "wham"- "out of nowhere"- "where did that come from?" experience. Say, for example, a cold or the flu. wham. It hits you square between the eyes-- and suddenly you cherish your ability to breathe, you remember the days without pain, etc. Even after the cold/flu is gone, you remember for a few days how wonderful it is to breathe again! Then as we go about our everyday life, we forget quickly how many great miracles are working for us each day.

We had a rental car for a few weeks and then my wonderful husband found us a car. Not just any car, but a better car than the first car. Now it's hard to remember how many things needed fixing in the old car... now it's difficult to remember exactly what the dashboard looked like... My everyday life is moving me along quickly.

All this to say that I had my first car accident? Nope. All this to say, "Don't forget to stop and smell the roses." Just because it isn't a problem right now doesn't mean we need to take it for granted! Give someone you love a hug; smell your beverages and food; taste fully; feel the weather; notice your environment and take in the sounds, sights and smells; give generously;
"Act kindly, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God" (Micah 6:8).

No comments: