Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Transitions

There are transitions in everything- writing, music, life. Sometimes I love the time I'm having and I just want it to "freeze" in the moment. But it keeps moving along, like a slow running stream.

When I was 23 years old, I asked Great Grandma if things slow down when you get older. She said, "No, they just get faster and faster." Fair warning- I took it to heart. I decided to enjoy where I'm at and remember that it only gets faster.

... That has proven to be mostly true. When I was little, a day seemed like a week. A summer seemed like a year. Now summers breeze by and I think they feel like weeks, not months. It's only those stolen precious moments with those we love that can make time stand still. When I'm absorbed into the moment, when I can later remember the smells and sounds, that's when time runs just a little slower for a while.

No comments: